Sunday, April 29, 2012

chariots of fire

My life has been moving in very slow motion for a couple of days thanks to a resurgence of mono or some other seriously debilitating virus.  I could pay the doctor large sums of money for the privilege of knowing the exact name of my nemesis, but since he's going to tell me to rest and drink lots of fluids, I thought I'd skip straight to the rest part.  So I rest for a while and then do something to wear myself out, like move to the couch or read three pages or eat a cracker, and then I rest some more.  This morning I had a moment when I was dragging Quinn's laundry basket down the hall in slow motion and had an out of body experience where I heard the Chariots of Fire theme music in my head as I pictured myself moving slowly down the hallway.  I may have chuckled out loud at the image.


Yesterday morning as I was recovering from waking up, reading was too painful, so I attempted to recite Romans 8 in my head while impersonating a dead body.   Only I found that this virus has apparently robbed me of all brain cells as well.  After several attempts, I gave up around verse 12-13:

Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.  For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.   For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.
Honestly I probably gave up around these verses because they might have struck a cord.  My spiritual life feels about as about as vibrant and healthy as I do right now.  So while I've been laying around impersonating a dead body, both physically and spiritually, I've been praying for the Spirit to come knock some sense into me.  And if the good sense could come with some good health too, that's be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment